Computers are becoming increasingly important in our modern lives, by performing tasks ranging from those previously undertaken by humans to others that are more specialised and complex. Algorithms provide computers with the step-by-step procedures that enable them to perform these kinds of tasks.
Our research covers the theoretical analysis of algorithms through to the creation of efficient algorithms for a range of real-world applications, including: environmental monitoring; reducing electricity usage for cloud service providers; identifying communities on the Internet to help prevent crime and terrorism; and modelling the behaviour of complex chemical compounds in order to design new medicines. Monitoring applications, for instance, might need to be placed in hard-to-reach areas, so the replacement of batteries can be costly and dangerous. In response to such challenges, we design and evaluate algorithms that maximise the quality of collected data and prolong the battery life.
As with all applied science, these applications only become possible after a deep body of basic knowledge has accumulated. For this reason, we develop fundamental theory and techniques that enable not only these applications, but also applications that will be needed in the future.
Explore our available student research projects below and if you’d like to discuss opportunities for collaboration or funding, please email us.
- Canfield, E.R., Gao, Z., Greenhill, C., McKay, B.D., Robinson, R.W., (2010). Asymptotic enumeration of correlation-immune boolean functions. Cryptography and Communications, 2:111–126.
- Cavenagh, N.J., Wanless, I., (2010). On the number of transversals in Cayley tables of cyclic groups.Discrete Applied Mathematics, 158(2):136–146.
- Exoo, G., McKay, B.D., Myrvold, W., Nadon, J., (2010). Computational determination of (3, 11) and (4, 7) cages. Journal of Discrete Algorithms (Amsterdam), Article in Press, Corrected Proof.
- Hasheminezhad, M., Hashemi, S.M., McKay, B.D., Tahmasbi, M., (2010). Rectangular-radial drawings of cubic plane graphs. Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications, 43:767–780.
- Hasheminezhad, M., McKay, B.D., (2010). Combinatorial estimates by the switching method.Contemporary Mathematics.
- Hasheminezhad, M., McKay, B.D., (2010). Recursive generation of simple planar quadrangulations with vertices of degree 3 and 4. Discussiones Mathematicae - Graph Theory, 30(1):123–136.
- Kobayashi, M., McKay, B.D., Mutoh, N., Nakamura, G., (2010). Black 1-factors and Dudeney sets.Journal of Combinatorial Mathematics and Combinatorial Computing (JCMCC), 75:167–174.
- Liang, W., Chen, B., Yu, J., (2010). Top-k query evaluation in sensor networks under query response time constraint. Information Sciences, 181:869–882.
- Liang, W., Xu, Y., Shi, J., Luo, J., (2010). Aggregate node placement for maximizing network lifetime in sensor networks. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Journal, Online(2010).
- Pavicic, M., McKay, B.D., Megill, N.D., Fresl, K., (2010). Graph approach to quantum systems. Journal of Mathematical Physics, 51(10).
- Stones, D.S., Wanless, I., (2010). Compound orthomorphisms of the cyclic group. Finite Fields and their Applications, 16(4):277–289.
- Stones, D.S., Wanless, I., (2010). Divisors of the number of Latin rectangles. Journal of Combinatorial Theory Series A, 117:204–215.
- Brent, R., Zimmermann, P., (2010). An O(M (n) log n) Algorithm for the Jacobi Symbol. In Guillaume Hanrot et al (eds.), 9th International Symposium, ANTS-IX, pp. 83–95, Nancy, France.
- Chen, B., Liang, W., Yu, J., (2010). Online Time Interval Top-k Queries in Wireless Sensor Networks. InInternational Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM 2010), pp. 177–182, Kansas City USA.
- Chen, B., Liang, W., Zhou, R., Yu, J., (2010). Energy-Efficient Top-k Query Processing in Wireless Sensor Networks. In ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2010), pp. 329–338, Toronto Canada.
- Liang, W., Luo, J., (2010). Prolonging Network Lifetime via A Controlled Mobile Sink in Wireless Sensor Networks. In IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2010), Miami USA.
- Shah, G.A., Liang, W., Shen, X., (2010). Cross-Layer Design for QoS Support in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks. In IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2010), Miami USA.
- Yang, W., Liang, W., Dou, W., (2010). Energy-Aware Real-Time Opportunistic Routing for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2010), Miami USA.
- Yang, W., Liang, W., Luo, J., Duo, W., (2010). Energy-Aware Online Routing with QoS Constraints in Multi-Rate Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC 2010), pp. 721–725, Caen France.