PhD (SysEng) Australian National University 1989
ME (EE) The University of Newcastle (Australia) 1985
BE (EE, Hons.1, Uni Medal) University of New South Wales 1982
Highlights, Service and Leadership
• Fellow IEEE (2005)
• 400+ Publications, Google-Scholar h-index of 39 and 7,600 citations
• 47 PhD Students (3 current)
• ATERB Medal, UNSW University Medal and 4 prizes in mathematics and engineering
• 26 External Grants and Industry Research Contracts (excluding major centres) total value $8M
• 17 ARC Grants (Large ARC/Discovery/Linkage, etc., including ARC QEII Fellow 1990–1993)
• 1994–2004 Head of Department, Telecommunications Engineering, RSISE
• 2006–2008 Head of Department, Information Engineering, RSISE
• 2008–2010 Director of Research, CECS
• 2014–2016 Associate Director (Education), Research School of Engineering
• ARC Research Evaluation Committee (REC) member in ERA 2010
• 11 years Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Communications
• Full Professor at ANU since 2000
• Investigator/participant in research centers: CRASys CRC, National ICT Australia (NICTA), ARC Communications Research Network (ACoRN)• Past Editorial Board Member for: Foundations and Trends in Communications and Information Theory; and International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing
Active ARC Grants
• $381,000 – ARC Discovery Grant DP170101897: “Advanced sampling and processing for diffusion magnetic resonance imaging” (Lead CI, with P. Sadeghi and A. Daducci), 2017–2019.
• $424,300 – ARC Discovery Grant DP150101011: “Harnessing Spherical Geometry in Scientific and Engineering Data Processing” (Lead CI, with S. Durrani and J. McEwen), 2015–2018.
Broad and mostly theory based.