I received bachelor and master degrees in electrical engineering from Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, in 1995 and 1997, respectively, and the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from The University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, Australia, in 2006. From January 2020 I will serve as a Full Professor at the Research School of Electrical, Energy and Materials Engineering (RSEEME), College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS), The Australian National University (ANU), Canberra, Australia.
From 1997 to 2002, I worked as a Research Engineer and then as a Senior Research Engineer at Iran Communications Industries (ICI) in Tehran, Iran and at Deqx (formerly known as Clarity Eq) in Sydney, Australia.
I have co-authored around 170 refereed journal articles or conference papers and a book on Hilbert Space Methods in Signal Processing, published by Cambridge University Press in 2013. I have been a Chief Investigator in five Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Projects and one Linkage Project. In 2019, I was awarded an ARC Future Fellowship on information theoretic data privacy.
I have visited various research institutes, including the Institute for Communications Engineering, Technical University of Munich (TUM) in 2008 and MIT in 2009 and 2013. Between 2016 and 2019 I served as an Associate Editor (AE) of coding techniques for the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. I am the General Co-chair of the 2021 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), to be held in Melbourne, Australia in July 2021. I have been a Senior Member of the IEEE since 2007. In April 2019, I was elected by the Board of Governors of the IEEE Information Theory Society (ITSoc) to serve on the Board until December 2020.
Selected Technical Society Roles
- Associate Editor for coding techniques, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, official term between August 2016 and August 2019
- Elected Member by the Board of Governors of the IEEE Information Theory Society (ITSoc), official term between April 2019 and December 2020
- Member of the Information Theory Schools Committee, the IEEE Information Theory Society
Selected School, College, or University roles
- Associate Director - Education, Research School of Engineering, Since July 2019
- Chair of HDR application ranking for the Information Theme, 2017-2019
- Joint Associate Dean (Research), College of Engineering and Computer Science, ANU, 2015-2016
- Acting Associate Director - Education, Research School of Engineering, April and July 2015
Selected conference organisation roles
- General Co-chair, IEEE Int. Symp. Information Theory (ISIT), http://www.isit2021.org, Melbourne, Australia. ISIT is the flagship IEEE conference in information theory and it will be held in Australia in 2021 for the second time in its history (ISIT has been held 51 times since 1950).
- General Chair, Australian Communications Theory Workshop (AusCTW), Canberra, Australia, 2017
- General Chair, Australian Information Theory School (AusITS), Canberra, Australia, 2017
- TPC Co-chair, International Symposium on Network Coding (Netcod), Sydney, Australia, 2015
- General Co-chair, 22nd Int. Conf. Telecommunications (ICT), Sydney, Australia, 2015
Selected TPC, reviewer, and thesis examination roles
- I regularly serve on the TPC of major conferences in my fields of research, act as a reviewer of journal articles, conference papers, applications to major funding schemes and PhD and MPhil theses.
For more details, please visit my website:
My current research interests are mainly in information-theoretic data privacy, index coding, communication for omniscience and network coding. I follow other foundational problems in information theory, wireless communications and signal processing. For more details and current projects, please visit my website:
For my research supervision track record, please visit my website:
For full list of publictions, please visit my website:
Also you can find my Google Scholar page at
And my DBLP page at
- Australian Research Council Future Fellowship, 2019
- Best paper award for "User load analysis and pilot sequence design for multi-cell massive MIMO networks", Globecom 2016, co-authored with Noman Akbar, Nan Yang, and Rodney A. Kennedy. See https://globecom2016.ieee-globecom.org/content/bes...