Nick Birbilis is the Deputy Dean of the ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science.
He believes that engineering and computer science will increasingly play a key role in society as we head towards Industry 4.0.
Nick is a passionate educator and strong advocate for diversity in STEM, who enjoys working in projects of social relevance and impact.
His areas of research include materials design, materials durability, and sustainability.
Prior to joining the ANU in 2018, Nick was Head of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Monash University; where he was also the inaugural Woodside Innovation Chair.
He has a PhD in Materials Engineering, and was a postdoctoral fellow at The Ohio State University.
Connect with Professor Birbilis:
Professor Birbilis’ research interests span several areas of materials science. He is principally concerned with materials design, materials durability, and sustainability. In other words, creating (from computational design to production) materials to meet the needs of a rapidly evolving world, ensuring such materials remain durable, and imposing responsible consideration of life cycle. Such areas of research involve the spectrum of advanced materials characterisation, electrochemistry, and machine learning. Nick has >300 publications and numerous patents. His research has been instrumental in the development of corrosion resistant lightweight alloys, and in elucidating the role of microstructure in the corrosion of engineering materials.
For more information - Google scholar profile
- 2021 - Fellow, Engineers Australia
- 2020 - Fellow, International Society of Electrochemistry
- 2020 - H.H. Uhlig Award, The Electrochemical Society
- 2017 - Batterham Medal, Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Australia.
- 2016 - Fellow, The Electrochemical Society
- 2015 - Lee Hsun Award, Chinese Academy of Science.
- 2014 - T.P. Hoar Award, Institute of Corrosion, UK.
- 2014 - Fellow, NACE,
- 2013 - Tall Poppy Science Award. Australian Institute of Policy and Science.
- 2012 - Vice-Chancellors Research Award, Monash University.
- 2012 - H.H. Uhlig Award, NACE