I received a Bachelor of Science with a double major computer science, and Bachelor of Information Technology with first class honors from the Australian National University (ANU), in 2012. I am currently working toward the Ph.D. degree in Computer Science at ANU.
My honours thesis consisted of analysis of eye gaze patterns recorded from reading. In my PhD I extended this analysis to investigate eye gaze in eLearning, primarily using bio-inspired methods to perform the analysis.
My PhD thesis has been submitted for review and I am currently working as an Human Centred Computing Support Officer and an academic tutor for COMP4660/8420 Bio-inspired computer at ANU.
My research interests are human computer interaction, bio-inspired computing, physiological signal analysis (in particular eye tracking), and eLearning.
- Copeland, L., & Gedeon, T. D. (2015a). Tutorials in eLearning; How Presentation Affects Outcomes. Emerging Topics in Computing, IEEE Transactions on, PP(99), 1-1.
- Copeland, L., Gedeon, T., & Caldwell, S. (2015). Effects of Text Difficulty and Readers on Predicting Reading Comprehension from Eye Movements. Paper presented at the IEEE 6th International Conference on Cognitive Infocommunications (CogInfoCom) 2015, Győr, Hungary.
- Copeland, L., & Gedeon, T. (2015). Visual Distractions Effects on Reading in Digital Environments: A Comparison of First and Second English Language Readers. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Australian Special Interest Group for Computer Human Interaction, 506-516.
- Copeland, L., & Gedeon, T. (2014a). Effect of presentation on reading behaviour. In Proceedings of the 26th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference on Designing Futures: the Future of Design (pp. 230-239). ACM.
- Copeland, L., & Gedeon, T. (2014b). What are You Reading Most: Attention in eLearning. Procedia Computer Science, 39, 67-74.
- Copeland, L., Gedeon, T., & Mendis, S. (2014a). Fuzzy Output Error as the Performance Function for Training Artificial Neural Networks to Predict Reading Comprehension from Eye Gaze. Paper presented at The 21st International Conference on Neural Information Processing 2014.
- Copeland, L., Gedeon, T., & Mendis, S. (2014b). Predicting reading comprehension scores from eye movements using artificial neural networks and fuzzy output error. Artificial Intelligence Research, 3(3), p35.
- Copeland, L., Gedeon, T., & Caldwell, S. (2014). Framework for Dynamic Text Presentation in eLearning. Procedia Computer Science, 39, 150-153.
- Copeland, L., & Gedeon, T. (2013a). The effect of subject familiarity on comprehension and eye movements during reading. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 25th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference: Augmentation, Application, Innovation, Collaboration.
- Copeland, L., & Gedeon, T. (2013b). Measuring reading comprehension using eye movements. Paper presented at the Cognitive Infocommunications (CogInfoCom), 2013 IEEE 4th International Conference on.
- Caldwell, S., Gedeon, T., Jones, R., & Copeland, L. (2015) Imperfect Understandings: A Grounded Theory and Eye Gaze Investigation of Human Perceptions Of Manipulated And Unmanipulated Digital Images. In Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Multimedia and Human-Computer Interaction (Winner of the Best Paper award)
- Naqshbandi, K., Gedeon, T., Abdulla, U. A., & Copeland, L. (2015). Factors affecting identification of tasks using eye gaze. In Cognitive Infocommunications (CogInfoCom), 2015 6th IEEE International Conference on (pp. 563-568). IEEE.
- Taylor, J. L., Copeland, L., Chow, C., & Nitschke, K. (2015) VIRK: Virtual work environment to facilitate interaction between the unemployed. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Australian Special Interest Group for Computer Human Interaction as part of the OzCHI 24 hour student design challenge. (Winner of the student design challenge)
- Gedeon, T., Zhu, X., He, K., & Copeland, L. (2014). Fuzzy Signature Neural Networks for Classification: Optimising the Structure. In Neural Information Processing (pp. 335-341). Springer International Publishing.
- Gedeon, T., Copeland, L., & Mendis, B. S. (2012). Fuzzy Output Error. Australian Journal of Intelligent Information Processing Systems, 13(2), 37-43.