Dr Nguyen received his bachelor degree in electrical engineering from Portland State University, Oregon in 2011 with a GPA of 3.97/4.0. From 2011 to early 2013, he was a product yield engineer at Intel where he received the Intel Global Test Manufacturing Group (TMG) Excellence award in Q4, 2012.
In 12/2016, Dr Nguyen received his PhD in engineering (photovoltaics) from the Australian National University (ANU). In 2017, he was a visiting scientist at the United States' National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). Currently, Dr Nguyen is a research fellow and lecturer at the ANU. He has published 49 scientific peer-reviewed papers, delivered 10 international talks and seminars, and is an Associate Fellow of The Higher Education Academy, UK. He received CECS's Dean Award for Excellence in Supervision in 12/2018.
The central idea of Dr Nguyen’s research is to promote and advance the field of optical spectroscopy and imaging through knowledge and scientific discoveries, and technique inventions for cheaper and more accessible solar energy. He explores fundamental properties of light absorbed by, and emitted from, solar energy materials and devices under various conditions. He works to uncover the relationship between the absorbed/emitted light and the important properties of the materials and devices, including optical, electrical, chemical, and structural properties. By exploiting these phenomena, he develops novel optical-based characterisation techniques with applications to renewable energy and material science. His research has been featured by over one hundred media channels worldwide.
Selected Media Releases:
- 05/2019: A (much) better solar cell - ANU Reporter
- 05/2019: Scientists unlock the potential of ultra-thin 2D materials - ANU, 2CC Radio Canberra Weekender, Physics.org, Opli, etc.
- 03/2019: Hieu at the forefront of ground-breaking study, by ANU EFS - link
- 02/2019: ANU at the forefront of ground-breaking solar research - ANU, PV Magazine, AZoCleantech, PACE (Process & Control Engineering),
- 01/2019: Say 'bye bye' to faulty mobile phones and solar cells - ANU, WIN Television, 2CC Radio Breakfast Show, Australia Science Channel, TechXplore, newelectronics, ECNmag, myScience, Opli, Vietnamplus, Vietnamnet, tuoitrenews, etc.
- 10/2018: Bendable, biodegradable computer: ANU engineers fight e-waste - ANU, Canberra Times, Daily Heralds, Riot ACT, India Today, ZDNet, Technosecrets, etc.
- 10/2018: Lab of the Month, by Linkam Scientific, UK - link
Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics (ACAP) Collaboration Grant - Round 5 (11/2018-11/2020).
- Project title: Advanced luminescence characterisation for doped-poly and passivation films in silicon photovoltaics
- Recipient: Hieu Nguyen
- Total value: AUD$184,045 ($58.3K cash and $125.7K in-kind)
Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) R&D Round 3 (03/2018-09/2021).
- Project title: Driving increased efficiency and reliability in silicon photovoltaics - from ingots to modules
- Recipients: Daniel Macdonald (lead), Fiacre Rougieux, Hieu Nguyen, Pheng Phang, Anyao Liu, Kelvin Sio (ANU)
- Total value: AUD$9,153,470 ($3,425,330 cash and $5,728,140 partner in-kind)
ACAP Post-Doctoral Fellowship (01/2018-12/2020).
- Project title: Multiscale and depth-resolved spectral photoluminescence for characterising silicon solar cells
- Recipient: Hieu Nguyen
- Total value: AUD$1,178,000 ($483K cash and $695K in-kind)
ACAP Collaboration Grant - Round 2 (2016-2017)
- Project title: Advanced photoluminescence studies of silicon wafers and solar cells
- Recipients: Daniel Macdonald (lead) and Hieu Nguyen
- Total value: AUD$110,000 ($60K cash and $50K in-kind)
- Mr Thien Truong (primary supervisor, 2018-2022) Outcomes: link 1, link 2
- Mr Mike Tebyetekerwa (primary supervisor, 2018-2022) Outcomes: link 1, link 2
- Ms Jessica Wu (co-supervisor, 2016-2020) Outcomes: link 1
- Mr Sven Gerritsen (primary supervisor, S1 2019 and S2 2019)
- Mr Ziyuan Cai (primary supervisor, S2 2018 and S1 2019)
- Mr Kilash Pyrke (primary supervisor, S1 2019 and S2 2019) Outcomes: link 1
- Mr Zhuofeng Li (primary supervisor, S2 2018 and S1 2019)
- Mr Boyi Chen (primary supervisor, S1 and S2 2018) Outcomes: link 1, link 2
Dr Nguyen is continuously looking for talented and motivated candidates to join his team. If you are looking for 1) a world-leading institute in renewable energy to host you and you have had a scholarship sponsor; 2) research collaborations; 3) both admissions and supporting scholarships (you will need an outstanding academic/industry record); 4) any other opportunities. Please contact him directly. These positions are available for all levels (Masters/PhDs/Post-docs).
- Luminescence spectroscopy and imaging
- Novel characterisation techniques for photovoltaics
- Solar cells and energy materials