DefendTex is an Australian based Defence company with a strong focus on innovation, research and technology development. DefendTex services military and law enforcement communities around the world.
DefendTex are seeking an experienced Mechanical Engineer to join an expanding team working on the development of cutting-edge Defence technologies. Specifically, the role will be focused on design and development of a range of novel weapon and ammunition technologies. The successful applicant will be required to lead the design of the products including any support systems, perform 3D CAD modelling of weapon and ammunition sub-components, assemblies and tooling as well as providing detailed manufacturing drawings. The successful applicant will act as the Team Leader for the Weapons sub-group and lead a multidisciplinary team of 5 engineers.
The successful applicant will evolve the existing designs based on empirical test data to optimise the system’s performance. They will also provide insight into materials and manufacturing improvements where appropriate. These designs will require the integration of electronic systems, as well as the use of a variety of lightweight high-performance materials. The successful applicant will be required to develop ballistic test plans and run live fire test campaigns at regular intervals. The role will also require the assembly and handling of novel ammunition and weapon components.
Initially the role will be working on the development of small arms weapon systems, however, there will also be opportunities to contribute to other technologies under development at DefendTex.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Technical lead for a multidisciplinary team.
• Design and optimisation of mechanical components, systems and tooling for military weapons and munitions.
• 3D CAD modelling of components and assemblies to be used in weapon systems
• Preparation of manufacturing drawings including tolerancing and dimensioning to Australian Standards
• Conduct critical design reviews and product optimisation
• Development of test plans
• Carrying out ballistic testing campaigns including field testing
• Failure analysis
• Prototyping and assembly of weapons and ammunition for testing campaigns
• Applied research in the field of weapon systems
• Liaise with external suppliers of sub-components and raw materials
• Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)
• Minimum 4 years of engineering experience
• 3D CAD modelling expertise (SolidWorks preferred)
• Experience preparing manufacturing drawings to AS 1100
• Good understanding of engineering materials: specifically, lightweight alloys, steels, polymers and composites
• Experience with FEA tools and simulation
• Hands-on, practical approach to engineering problem solving
• Knowledge of various manufacturing processes e.g. manual and CNC machining, injection moulding, casting, 3D printing,
• Sound understanding of Design for Manufacture and Assembly principles
• Sound knowledge of mechanical systems design
• Sound understanding of weapon systems and gun propulsion
• Experience as a project leader / Team Lead
• Australian Citizenship
• Must pass the Australian Government BASELINE security check
• Experience in an R&D role
• Ammunition reloading experience
• Knowledge of interior ballistics
• Strives in a fast paced, dynamic work environment
• Basic understanding of electronic systems
Team work is critical to us so you must be a team player, able to work in a mixed discipline environment ensuring your designs integrate and
function first time, every time.
- Competitive remuneration
- Great facilities at our office in Melbourne’s South East
- Genuine learning and development opportunities
- Opportunity to innovate and see it come to life
- Working in a dynamic team environment with talented engineers who are supported by senior management to develop innovative, novel
applications for defence and law enforcement is what it’s all about for DefendTex engineers.
- DefendTex engineers have the opportunity to work collaboratively with external research organisations for many projects, ensuring our
team are offered ongoing professional learning.
To apply for this exciting role, please send your CV and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org