DefendTex is an Australian based Defence company with a strong focus on innovation, research and technology development. DefendTex services military and law enforcement communities around the world.
DefendTex are seeking Mechanical Engineers to join an expanding team working on the development of cutting-edge Defence technologies. Specifically, the roles will involve working on novel Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS). The successful applicant will assist a team in designing and physically developing UAV systems. The position will involve extensive CAD design, providing detailed manufacturing drawings, prototyping, and testing of both complete systems and subsystems of multiple UAV platforms.
Initially the role will be working on the development and commercialisation of UAV systems, however, there will also be opportunities to assist in other technologies under development at DefendTex.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Design and development of mechanical components, systems and tooling for military systems
• 3D CAD modelling of components and assemblies to be used in weapon and UAV systems
• Preparation of manufacturing drawings including tolerancing and dimensioning to Australian Standards
• Carrying out critical design reviews and design optimisation
• Assist in the procurement equipment used for design and development of UAV systems
• Manufacturing test samples and prototypes, including soldering and the use of hand tools
• Assisting in flight testing campaigns including both indoor and outdoor field testing
• Applied research in the field of weapon and UAV systems
• Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)
• 3D CAD modelling experience (SolidWorks preferred)
• Sound knowledge of mechanical systems design
• Good understanding of engineering materials: specifically, engineering polymers and composites
• Hands-on, practical approach to engineering problem solving
• Experience preparing manufacturing drawings
• Australian Citizenship
• Must pass the Australian Government BASELINE security check
• Not be a prohibited person under Section 3 of the Firearms Act 1996 (Victoria)
• Knowledge and understanding of UAV systems
• Knowledge of aerodynamics and electric propulsion
• Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) holder
• Experience with FEA tools and simulation
• Strives to learn in a dynamic work environment
• Basic understanding of electronic systems
Team work is critical to us so you must be a team player, able to work in a mixed discipline environment ensuring your designs integrate and function first time, every time.
- Competitive remuneration
- Great facilities at our office in Melbourne’s South East
- Genuine learning and development opportunities
- Opportunity to innovate and see it come to life
- Working in a dynamic team environment with talented engineers who are supported by senior management to develop innovative, novel applications for defence and law enforcement is what it’s all about for DefendTex engineers.
- DefendTex engineers have the opportunity to work collaboratively with external research organisations for many projects, ensuring our team are offered ongoing professional learning.
Closing Date: 31 January 2021