Expressions of Interest application for computing internship placement Semester 2, 2020 has been extended to Sunday 12 April.
Expressions of Interest are now sought from undergraduate and postgraduate Computer Science students interested in undertaking a course credit computing internship placement during Semester 2, 2020.
The ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science works with Host Organisations to source suitable projects for our Computer Science Students. This opportunity is offered for course credit under the Computing Internship course (COMP3820 – UG and COMP8830 – PG). (course fees will apply)
To be considered for an internship placement you will need to ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria and submit your Expression of Interest (EOI) through the online form by the application close date.
To be eligible to be considered for the Computer Science internship (COMP3820):
- In order to be considered for an internship position you will need to have:
- completed COMP2100 and COMP2120
- a GPA of at least 5.0/7.0
- space in your program to accommodate a 12-unit Internship (i.e. COMP or University Elective Space) without overloading, in a single semester (not across two semesters).
It is preferable that you have also completed COMP3120 (although not compulsory).
If you have completed or are planning to undertake COMP3500 (TechLauncher), please seek program advice from your Program Convenor before applying to undertake the Computing Internship.
Preference will be given to those UG students who would have completed 96 units prior to the semester they wish to undertake Computing Internship.
To be eligible to be considered for the Computer Science internship (COMP8830):
- Have achieved a minimum GPA of 5.0/7.0;
- Have completed or be currently enrolled in COMP6442 (Software Construction) and COMP8260 (Professional Practice 2);
- Not be enrolled in or have completed COMP8715 (Computing Project);
- Not be enrolled in, have completed or are planning to complete COMP8755 (Individual Computing Project) or COMP8800 (Computing Research Project).
- space in your program to accommodate a 12-unit Internship without overloading, in a single semester (not across two semesters)
Preference will be given to those PG students who would have completed 48 units prior to the semester they wish to undertake Computing Internship.
Please Note: The College reserves the right to take into account performance in courses completed in Semester 1, 2020 before finalising the placement.
As CECS is currently looking at remote working internships option, the highlighted note below, the requirements of applicants being available on campus NO LONGER APPLY.
Important: You must be on campus available for an interview from Monday 20 April (the Monday after the teaching break).You must intend to be on campus and ready to commence your placement on Monday of Week 1, Semester 2 (i.e. Monday 27 July, 2020). Late commencement will not be permitted.
An internship is expected to be undertaken for the equivalent of 12 units of academic credit. This is typically done as 12 units over one semester. Students are expected to spend 15 hours per week in a placement with their host organisations and 5 hours additional course time per week. No remuneration is expected for the placement.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently with minimal supervision
- Professional conduct at work including in presentation and communication
- Positive attitude towards learning new things and tackling challenges
- Ability to derive project requirements from understanding of user needs including use of creative approaches.
The process timeline
- Applications open: 16 March 2020
- Applications close: 5 April 2020
- Short interview with course convenor (shortlisted students only): from 20 April 2020
How to apply
To apply, you should:
(1) Complete the online Expression of Interest Form by Sunday 12 April 2020
(2) Submit your Degree Health Check request by Sunday 12 April 2020. Note: You will be required to identify yourself on the Degree Health Check form that you are applying for Computing Internships Opportunity
(3) For further information on Computing Internships, please go to the Computing Internships Web Page. Please also make sure you look at the Guide to completing the Expression of Interest form available on this web page before submitting your application.