New website coming soon
Please note that over the next month our website will be changing. Go to cecs.anu.edu.au/newsite for more information.
Formal application process
The information below will help you with your application. We strongly encourage you to refer to the self assessment flowchart, and complete the pre-application process before submitting your formal application. Links
Applicants can choose to apply either by a hard copy
application (please note that there is a processing fee is
applicable if you choose to apply using the hard copy form) or by
using our online application system (no application fee).
You can apply through our online system to commence a:
- Doctor of Philosophy (four-year PhD) you can choose to either study in
- Master of Philosophy (two-year MPhil) you can choose to either study in
Your formal application must include a number of supporting documents.
- High resolution colour soft copies of all your previous academic transcripts.
- A short CV or resume.
- A one (1) to two (2) page research/thesis proposal.
- Three (3) referee reports. Preferably all, though no less than two of these, must be academic references. Referees are required to complete a standard referee's questionnaire. These must be arranged by the applicant and we will not pursue these on your behalf. Questionnaires must be sent by the referee directly to the email address provided on the form and cc'ed to email@example.com.
- Proof of meeting the University's English language requirements.
- Proof of residency/citizenship (domestic applicants only).
- These documents do not need to be submitted at the same
time as your application (we understand that referees may
take some time to submit their reports) however your
application will not be assessed until
all of these documents have been received.
Applications for admission to a HDR award may be submitted at any time throughout the year, and students may commence their program at any point throughout the year. If you wish to be considered for a scholarship with ANU, you should ensure that your completed application is received by the appropriate deadline. For international students this is 31st August and for domestic students this is 31st of October in the year before commencing study.